The Pacific County Historical Society History began when it was organized by members of the Pacific County Pioneer Association 1949. The Society was incorporated in 1966 under the name of The Pacific County Historical Society and Museum Foundation. At that time the Museum Committee was appointed to raise funds for a museum. In 1970 the Society had temporary quarters for a museum in South Bend’s Lumber Exchange Building. On August 2, 1980 the present Pacific County Museum had a Grand Opening.
|February 9, 1949||
Verna Jacobson, County Auditor, wrote Washington State Historical Society,
Tacoma, asking for advice and assistance in organizing a county historical society.
|April 28, 1949||
Chapin D. Foster, Director of Washington State Historical Society, speaking
at a meeting at the Pacific County Courthouse, encourages the county
commissioners and members of the public to establish a society.
|June 8, 1949||
At a meeting of interested citizens, the historical society is founded. They
chose the name – Pacific County Historical Society. Annual dues $2.50. There
were 75 members. John L. Wiegardt, was chosen temporary president, Verna
Jacobson, temporary secretary treasurer. The Constitution and By-laws of the
Society were unanimously adopted.
|February 1952||The Historical Society requests a courthouse room for a museum.|
|November 19, 1952||
Charles Nelson presents the President’s gavel to the Historical Society. It
Is made from black walnut newel post from the old Stevens Hotel in
Oysterville. Nelson said it was the first boarding house in Pacific County.
When the hotel was torn down he salvaged the newel post and had the
gavel made. He presented it in the name of The Pioneers of Pacific County. The
silver band and inscription say who made it. Fred Eichner paid for the band and inscription.
The D.A.R. House basement at Fort Columbia is offered as a museum for the
Historical Society. The offer was accepted. Display cases and artifacts in
Storage at the Courthouse are moved to Fort Columbia, Chinook.
|May 15, 1960||
The Board orders that all articles in the Courthouse belonging to the Historical
Society be placed in the D.A.R. House at Fort Columbia.
|February 3, 1966||
Archy Gillies, South Bend lawyer, recommends to the Society that they
Incorporate under the provisions off Washington State Code. This would make
it possible to be a non-profit organization. The move was recommended before
collecting money for and building a museum. The name of the Society was
changed to The Pacific County Historical Society and Museum Foundation.
The Constitution and By-laws of 1949 are written as the Articles of Incorporation
and filed with Washington Secretary of State. The Museum Committee was appointed.
|March 6, 1966||
The Society and the County Commissioners worked together to have the
Museum built at Bruceport County Park. On April 20, 1969 it was evident that
the land provided would not meet the needs of the Society’s Museum.
|April 24, 1966||
Ruth Dixon, Raymond, reports that a quarterly magazine of history is possible.
With the help of Mr. Laughlin, of THE SOUTH BEND JOURNAL, a 20 page
Magazine with pictures will cost $250 for 1000 copies. The quarterly would be
Patterned after the UMPQUA TRAPPER. The Board appointed Ruth Dixon
Chairman of the magazine committee and instructed her to select others to
assist her. The name SOU’WESTER was accepted by the membership for
the new magazine.
The Society’s temporary quarters were in South Bend’s Lumber Exchange Building.
|December 5, 1979||
Due to the sale of The Lumber Exchange Building, the Society’s lease would end June 1, 1980.
|January 8, 1980||
McDonald Construction of Frances started work on our new museum Building (the site of the present Pacific County Historical Society’s Museum).
|August 2, 1980||
The Grand Opening of Pacific County Museum, August 2, 1 p.m. A souvenir
of the opening, “Museum Oyster Money” was given to each adult who signs the
visitor’s register. Refreshments were provided by the Board. The Museum
closed its doors at the Lumber Exchange Building on Aril 30 and opened in the
new building the same afternoon.